Re: question about sgadef<SID>.dbf (Oracle 8)

From: Jim Lloyd <infosys_at_medfab.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 15:24:43 -0600

There are several ways to accomplish this. First you could check for the existence of one of the background processes (smon,pmon, etc.) the assumption being if the background process is there the database is probably running. Or . . .

We use a script to query the running database for the tables that need to be backed up and their location. Checking for what happened during this query will also tell you if the database is running, or not. We then let the script shut down the database, do the backup, and restart the database.

Hope this helps.