Re: How to Create a new Oracle instance ?

From: Arati Vijay <vijayj_at_singnet.com.sg>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 23:49:32 +0800

Hi,

I presume that you are running Oracle on Unix. You need to do the following:

create new initxxxx.ora files where xxxx is you instance name, with the necessary parameters.
create the new directories for storing your data files, control files and redo log files
create scripts for database creation, installing various packages, tablespace creation, user creation,
set the environment variable ORACLE_SID to xxxx (the instance name) connect as sysdba
create the database
bringup the database in the 'nomount' mode run the various creation scripts
exit
startup the database

To start your current instance, set your ORACLE_SID to the relevant value and startup

Regards,
VJ