Re: Oracle & OS related questions...

From: <jdufour_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 04:47:19 GMT

The gain depends on the nature of the DB. If an OLTP DB with lots of random queries on rows of 2000 bytes or less, probably would not benefit performance, in fact, would likely degrade. If more batch-oriented or DSS or data warehouse type DB, you would likely gain from the larger block size.

Jerry Dufour jdufour_at_home.com

In article <7ue7b2$scn$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   david_petit_at_yahoo.com wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I want to ask some questions about the Oracle and OS questions. Hope
> someone can help.
>
> 1) I know that during each I/O, OS reads the data block size from hard
> disk to memory. If I doubling the DB_BLOCK_SIZE, is there any
> performacce gain if the OS block size still not change? For example,
if
> I change the DB_BLOCK_SIZE from 2K to 4K, OS still needs two I/O to
move
> the data from disk to memory, what are the advantages of setting
> DB_BLOCK_SIZE from 2K to 4K? And Is is possible to change the data
block
> size on Solaris and Windows NT, and how? (or pointing to which web
site
> discuss these issues)
>
> Thanks,
> David
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Sun Oct 17 1999 - 23:47:19 CDT