Re: Configuration tools of Oracle8i under linux

From: Frank Hubeny <fhubeny_at_ntsource.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 23:28:09 -0500

I had trouble with the Net8 Configuration Assistant as well. It just would not start. After checking technet.oracle.com's Linux discussion group and finding that others were having a lot of trouble with Oracle on Linux, I decided not to even try to get the assistant to work. There is no point in wasting time on a product that Oracle itself doesn't want to spend time on.

Luckily, you don't need to use the assistant to configure Net 8. You are essentially editing the tnsnames.ora and listener.ora files in the $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin directory. These files can be modified manually. Indeed, even on NT, I go directly to these files rather than use the assistant.

There is also a docs directory in $ORACLE_HOME/network which contains interesting reading that might help with the configuration.

Frank Hubeny