Re: Using Orcale Parallel Server to archieve nearly zero down time

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 21:52:07 +0100

I have heard a report recently that Sun will only run Oracle Parallel Server correctly if the drives are Sun's own.

I am still looking into it, but this may be why you have been told that your set-up won't work the way you want it to.

--

Jonathan Lewis
Yet another Oracle-related web site: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

Jason Wong wrote in message <7ucv4m$el47_at_imsp212.netvigator.com>...
>I am currently looking for a high availability database solution for one of
>system. In my mind, I am planning to implement SUN Enterprise 4000 as the
>Servers, Oracle8i Parallel Server as the database engine, Veritas Cluster
>Server as the cluster manager and Clariion 5700 dual process RAID as the
>data storage.
>
>I want to have two instances of Oracle8i, that share the same database,
>running in 2 separate servers actively. So, when one of them shut down, the
>other can take up the task immediately. I expect the down time to be less
>than 1 minute. However, some vendor told me that even with Oracle Parallel
>Server, two instances of Oracle8i that share the same database cannot be
>running actively at the same time. This is true because at any one time the
>Cluster Server will allow only one server to mount on the disk volume.
Hence