Re: Upgrade from Version 6 to 8: help needed urgently!

From: JLockhart <lockhartj_at_yellowknife.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 14:50:19 -0600

I am in the midst of converting an Oracle6.0.34 database on a VAX to Oracle8i on HP_UNIX. I am using the intermediary route through 7.3.4 as strongly recommended by Oracle Tech Support.

I used export/import from 6 to 7 and will be doing the same from 7 to 8, This is because to provide a 8 database for developers to build new forms, while the users aren't finished yet with the VAX. THen when new forms ready for Oracle8i, will shut down VAX and bring data over again to Oracle8i.

Had problems with views not building and clusters, but wondered since I was moving objects from one schema to another - compressed 6 schemas into one. It took a lot of time, not a quick job.

I have Oracle 7 & 8i s/w loaded and the Oracle7 db built, next step is importing it to Oracle8i now. Good luck to your project.