8i EE/Std performance different?

From: Michael W. Steidl <mwsteidl_at_eunet.at>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 1999 17:54:28 +0200

I have set up a test database with 8i Enterprise Edition EE and iMediaText (former Contex Cartridge).

After the release of the product I switched to 8i Standard Editon, my test data are the same.

Both version have been installed on the same server (not at the same time !!)
and I get rather different performance values: a specific (simple!) select statement takes
4 times with SE compared to EE.

Some people told me, there are no differences at all in the database core - therefore it must be
a tuning problem. I really can't believe it, since I use the same INIT.ORA parameter file for both
versions and the installation is done with Database Assistant and the same parameters (size, redologs ...)

Can anybody tell me, if it is true, that both versions must have the same basic performance
and at what parameters to look, if I have a so much different performance? (I can see from the
internal statistis tables, that the database is doing diffent things with the same select statement.
The SE version does a full table scan while the EE doesn't do that - no suprise this takes longer)

Thanks,

Michael W. Steidl Received on Sat Oct 16 1999 - 10:54:28 CDT