Re: composite partition table

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 22:18:57 +0100

As usual, it depends on your use.
The overhead on composites is simple that you have more segments to check for data if your query does not eliminate on either the partition or subpartition columns. For 'small' queries and large numbers of segments the overhead can be a large fraction of the cost; for large volume queries it may be a minor fraction.

Overheads on insert/delete - the best bet is to try it with your volume of data. On single row inserts I would expect an overhead of 50 - 100%. For large inserts using array inserts where the data was ordered by partition and subpartition I would expect something in the order of 5 - 10% overhead.

--

Jonathan Lewis
Yet another Oracle-related web site: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk