Changes in Null handling from 7 to 8

From: Andris Nestors <andris.nestors_no-spam_at_ac.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 13:31:32 +0100

We are upgrading from 7.3.4 to 8.1.5 on Solaris 2.6.

When our Pro*C application is compiled optimised O4 against the 815 libraries and run against an 815 instance, we get different null handling to the exact same app compiled O4 against the 734 libraries and run against a 734 instance.

Using 734, CHAR columns containing nulls are reliably mapped to a C char* as \0.

Using 815, sometimes the char* contains \0 but sometimes it contains garbage.

Of course we can solve the problem by using null indicators across the board, but this would be large scale changes to the application.

Has anyone else experienced this problem ? Is there a workaround ?

I have contacted Oracle Support in the UK, but they say "sorry - use null indicators".

Thanks for any help.
Andris Received on Fri Oct 15 1999 - 07:31:32 CDT