Re: 8.1.5 on RH Linux 6.0 - JRE/JDK problem

From: José Luis Rojano <jlrojano_at_arrakis.es>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 12:48:59 +0100

Hi Mark!

Yes, I'm starting to think the same... perhaps the big Bill brother will have the last laugh... at least with Oracle. It seems that Oracle isn't supporting linux that much as they say in their website! Maybe Linux+Oracle is only a marketing experiment or something.

After 3 days of stress and hard work trying to get some Oracle instance working, i finally got a Oracle instance running. I discover that dbassist only works with jre117v3 and the installer only works with jdk116v5. I also realised thay in spite of what the installer say in the installation process (where do you want to put your db files? -> My answer: /u02) it doesn't put my db files into /u02 but into /u01/app/oracle/product/8.1.5 dir tree. I also realised that all the directories belongs to the "oinstall" group but not the "dba" as they say it should be (see pg 4-2 "Verify Database File Security" in the Oracle 8i Installation Guide for Linux). The same for the oraenv script. If you run this script from a bash shell you get an error like "[: integer expression expected before -lt".

As you can see i have had a lot of problems with the installation. In fact I have made a bad instalation.

What's happening with Oracle/Linux? Are they putting beta or even alpha software in their website?

Best regards,

Jose Luis Rojano

mark tompkins <tompkins_at_home.com> wrote in message news:38055257.89A38E95_at_home.com...
> [...]
think
> that Oracle must be doing some funny business with the JRE, else why do
they
> require the link to usr/local/bin/....?
>
> I'd be barking big time, if I had a little more experience with UNIX. My
> experience is almost all PC/Microsnot.
> I just want to escape from the land of NT, sooooooo bad, but heck, maybe
its
> big bad Bill who's getting the last laugh? ;-)
>
> ... later
>
> Mark
>
> "José Luis Rojano" wrote:
>
> > Hello Mark!
> >
> > I've had exactly the same problem. After all the installation process
the
> > installer told me it failed because it couldn't find the Thread.class
> > file... I've made the installation with jdk116v5
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> > Thanx,
> >
> > Jose.
> >
> > mark tompkins <tompkins_at_home.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I was able to successfully install Oracle 8.0.5 on RH 5.1.
> > >
> > > I upgraded RH 5.1 to 6.0, and the java environment worked after the
> > > upgrade (blackdown jdk/jre 1.1.7 v3). I increased the size of my swap
> > > partition from 60 to 455 MBytes.
> > >
> > > I tried to install Oracle 8.1.5 on Red Hat 6.0, and the installation
> > > almost worked the first time. OUI loaded from the CD, and ran without
> > > error, until the verfication phase of the installation, whence it
> > > failed. When I re-ran OUI to check the installed
> > > packages, everything appears to have been installed successfully. The
> > > failure seems to occur during the installation validation phase,
> > > possibly when the dbassist program was run to create a new database???
> > >
> > > When I try to run any of the Java applications, such as dbassist, it
> > > fails, because it can't find class java/lang/Thread, or something
> > > similar.
> > >
> > > The problem can be replicated just running a simple JDK applet.
> > > I have installed the Blackdown JRE for 1.1.7 v3. I have also
installed
> > > the Blackdown JDK 1.1.7 v3.
> > >
> > > I can replicate the problem with appletviewer, and jre. Here is the
> > > jre sequence:
> > >
> > > jre -classpath /workarea/jws/proj1 proj1.class
> > > Unable to initialize threads: cannot find class java/lang/Thread
> > > Could not create Java VM
> > >
> > > When I try the same applet using appletviewer, I get:
> > >
> > > appletviewer proj1.html
> > > Warning: Cannot allocate colormap entry for default background.
> > > File not found when looking for: proj1
> > > java.lang.NullPointerException
> > > at
> > > sun.applet.AppletPanel.createApplet(AppletPanel.java:456)
> > > at
> > > sun.applet.AppletPanel.runLoader(AppletPanel.java:392)
> > > at sun.applet AppletPanel.run(AppletPanel.java:231)
> > > at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java)
> > >
> > > This looks like a 'can't find the classes.zip' file problem. But,
I've