Re: Is this replication?

From: Pete Sharman <psharman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 15:04:00 -0700

Kenny

What you're describing is standby database. The only problem with this approach is your QA database will be mounted in recovery mode. You can open it in query only mode in 8.1, then put it back to mounted mode later if you want to (note that this is an 8.1 feature that was not available in earlier releases). Any archivelogs that have been generated while the database is open will simply queue up ready to be applied when you go back to recovery mode.

Another alternative might be export / import, but if the database is really growing that rapidly becomes unwieldy due to timeslot concerns (how long you have available to do the import).

HTH. Pete