Re: SQL Puzzle - Finding Max Sequence

From: fumi <fumi_at_tpts5.seed.net.tw>
Date: 14 Oct 1999 16:51:26 GMT

<papollo_bates_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message news:7u03ml$a4m$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...
> I have a table with three fields:
>
> 1) ID is a number field
> 2) Sequence_No is a number field
> 3) Grade is a VARCHAR2(1), holding A, B, C, D, E
>
> There are 100 individual IDs, each with more than one record. As a
> record is inserted for an ID, the next Sequence_No for that ID is used.
> So, ID 100 has Sequence_No values of 1, 2, 3, 4, etc., as does ID 101
> and every other ID
>
> I want to select all IDs with a Grade of A or B, but I can only look at
> their highest Sequence_No when checking their grade. I can"t figure out
> the MAX(Sequence_No) part.

Your description is ambigious.
For example, if the records are

ID      Seqnence_No     Grade
100               1         A
101               1         C
102               1         A
102               2         B
102               3         C
103               1         C
103               2         B
103               3         A

then, what do you want to list?
Is ID 101 included?
What is your "max sequence_no"?

Describe your question more clearly and try to give a clear example, or nobody can give you a CORRECT answer. Received on Thu Oct 14 1999 - 11:51:26 CDT