Re: OFA Compliant Installation

From: <rspeaker_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 14:16:54 GMT

the idea behind OFA is to separate your various datafiles across different disk spindles to optimize performance. Mount point naming conventions are entirely up to you, although the "standard" practice uses /u01, /u02, /u03, etc. On Unix, the mount points are typically filesystems. AIX LVM simplifies the creation and striping of your filesystems / mountpoints. If you can get a copy of the Oracle 8 DBA Handbood by Oracle Press, check out Chapter 4, Physical Database Layouts. It provides some suggestions on how to weight your different applications, and how to distribute the datafiles based on the number of disks you have available to you. Keep in mind that Oracle tuning is an iterative process, not a do-it-and-forget-about-it process. Database tuning includes I/O tuning, so watch your datafile I/O stats and relocate datafiles to different disks/mount points as necessary.

HTH,
Roy

In article <7u2tcv$45g$1_at_bgtnsc01.worldnet.att.net>,   "Clif Wade" <cwade_at_worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> I need clarification on mount points for an OFA Compliant
Installation.
> Oracle requires mount points for software and the database. Is it
suggesting
> that the software mount points be a file system or simply a directory?
Are
> the mount points for the database(s) files systems? Obviously, I am
> confused rather mount points should be file systems or directories
under
> root. What are the suggested mount point configurations under UNIX?
>
> Thanks!!!!!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Oct 14 1999 - 09:16:54 CDT