Re: Oracle interMedia as a Web Search Solution?

From: Joel R. Kallman <jkallman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 13:52:46 GMT

On Wed, 13 Oct 1999 17:24:41 GMT, mlecza_at_my-deja.com wrote:

>Has any one used Oracle interMedia as a search engine for a website?
>
>We started playing around with it. I loaded up a table with 15,000
>records and started messing with queries - It performed great until I
>started adding ORDER BY to the query.
>
>My fear is that is will just not be fast enough to handle hundreds of
>thousands of items with the performace we are looking for.
>
>I am having trouble finding any kind of reviews (other than Oracle's
>reviews) on the product.
>
>FYI - We have Oracle 8i runing on a Sun Ultra 10 with 500MB RAM

What are you ordering by? Is it by the SCORE operator or some other column? What is your database parameter SORT_AREA_SIZE set to?

If your interMedia Text query is performing very fast, and your sort operation is slow, it may have nothing to do with interMedia Text.

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

Thanks!

Joel

Joel R. Kallman Oracle Service Industries

Columbus, OH                             http://govt.us.oracle.com

jkallman@us.oracle.com                   http://www.oracle.com

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation. Received on Thu Oct 14 1999 - 08:52:46 CDT