Re: Resizing Datafile

From: Jan Nowitzky <nowitzky_at_informatik.uni-jena.de>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 10:30:56 +0200

Hi,

some of used blocks lie behind yor specified size. So you know, that you have a fragmented tablespace (that is normaly if you have a mix of insert, update and delete operations) with free blocks in the middle or in front of but not exclusiv at the end of your datafile. current_size minus free_size is to small, because you datafile has no sequential organisation and the resize oeration will shrink a datafile at the end!

Bye, Jan

"Daniel Wiechczyński" wrote:

> Hello !
>
> I have problem with resizing a datafile. It belongs to tablespace, that
> contains indexes. Thanks to informations in view DBA_FREE_SPACE I know that
> it contains
> free space and I want to make it a little smaller.
> But when I'm executing command:
> ALTER DATABASE DATAFILE 'filename' RESIZE new size
>
> where new size, is not smaller than (current size) minus (free space in
> file)
> i receive message:
> ORA-03297:file contains 22875 blocks of data beyond the requested RESIZE
> value
> What is important, sum of this value (22875) and my requested resize value
> is equal to currentfile size. In this moment I understand that a
free space in file means nothing for this operation.

--

Jan Nowitzky
Friedrich-Schiller-Universität o Institut für Informatik E-Mail nowitzky_at_informatik.uni-jena.de