disadvantages with bind variables

From: <david-deja_at_cheetahmail.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 21:59:17 GMT

Hi-

Is there any disadvantage in binding variables?

I use Oracle8 and Perl using DBI/DBD.

Because it is impracticabable to ask our programmers to use binding in their Perl scripts, I wrote a Perl library that parses the sql queries and substitutes ? for the variables (identified because they are enclosed in quotes) and then bind them.

For example "select * from table where user = 'david'" becomes "select * from table where user = ?" ...

The potential problem is that ALL sql queries get parsed and modified before they reach the database.

For example ".... like 'david%'" becomes "... like ?".

It doesn't seem to slow down anything, but I am worried it could cause some problems.

Any insight? (Please cc me).

David.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Oct 13 1999 - 16:59:17 CDT