Java & a database

From: Gregory Caulton <gcaulton_at_sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 21:45:56 GMT

Hi,

    I'd like to build a cool application as part of my spare time as a student, perhaps I could create something really cool that would be worth selling on windows (or distributing free on Linux of course.. :-).

    A database would be needed for my app, and I already have significant experience with Oracle and after doing a really quick test was able to use JDBC drivers to connect.

    So far so good, now I'm thinking cross platform so I would like my app to be able to run on Windows, locally as well as across the internet
- but what database could I use. My first temptation is MSAccess since
it is easy to manipulate and (most importantly) minimal management. However I do worry about incompatibilities and on my first try could not even connect to the database.

    So I'm thinking about Personal Oracle - anyone have experience there
- is it more stable - can it be made to auto-extend - does it work with
Java.

    But I am open to any and all ideas and experiences as to what YOU would do if you had to choose a cross platform database (or two if appropriate) to go with my app.

thanks in advance for all input!

Greg Received on Wed Oct 13 1999 - 16:45:56 CDT