Oracle & I/O Performance

From: Robert Luscombe <lrobert_at_instadv.alumni.pitt.edu>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 17:00:26 -0400

I was wodering what advice anyone can offer some advice regarding I/O performance and hardware RAID.

I am setting up Oracle under Solaris using a couple Sun disk arrays with hardware RAID. Has anyone found that it is better to isolate high-activity tables in their own tablespaces on several separate disk groups, or will performance likely be better using fewer disk groups with more disks in each group? Will I likely see better I/O by keeping these tables physically separate by putting them each on smaller disk groups (such as four groups of six disks, one tablespace per group) or putting all of them on fewer large disk groups (such as one group of 24 disks or 2 groups of 12)?

Thanks,
--bob

---
Robert A. Luscombe
Systems Analyst
University of Pittsburgh
Office of Institutional Advancement
Systems and Operations

lrobert_at_instadv.alumni.pitt.edu
(412) 624-8253 Received on Wed Oct 13 1999 - 16:00:26 CDT