Re: Instance Problem !!

From: <aaronurbain_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 16:54:00 GMT

The ORACLE_SID controls which instance *You* connect to, whether you are sitting at the server or some workstation. When you run plus33 it connects to ORACLE_SID.

ORACLE_SID's value as defined on the server has nothing to do with which instance the users connect to. The details of how the users connect to the database and what app they run are missing. If they are using plus33, ORACLE_SID as defined on thier machine controls where they connect. If ODBC, then the DSN controls where they connect.

Hope that helps.

In article <7u22r3$mqs$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   sjoshi_at_ingr.com wrote:
> Hello All
> I have a situation like this: I have two databases, one with
instance
> name A and second with instance name B. I have already created an
> ORACLE_SID in the registry with value of A. Now since I have created
> another instance(B) and if I want to use the B instance, do I use the
> set instance command to set my current instance to B. Will this effect
> the users who are currently using A. All the databases are on the
server

> thanks
> Sunit
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Oct 13 1999 - 11:54:00 CDT