Oracle Freesearch - How to.

From: Stein Andersen <stein.andersen_at_no.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 14:09:33 +0100

We are building a web-application on top on an already existing solution. The web-application will access the database using information-Server and ASP. In the WEB-application we want to provide the possibility to perform free-search among information in a number of database-fields in the database. Currently we are thinking about using views as the interface between the database, and the web application. The search-view are planned to be defined as something like:

create view somesearchview as
select a.id1field1 ID1,a.idfield2 ID2,......,a.idfieldN IDN,,a.idtype Type a.attrval1 || a.attrval2 || ..... || a.attrvalN || b.attrval1.... || b.attrvalN Data
where

A and B is in this example the tables and the ID-fields uniquely identify the records, the actual search will be performed using the Data-column.

We do see that performance may be a problem, and are therefore looking into possible solution in Oracle 7.3.x and 8.0.5.

  1. Is there a way to setup oracle to help us in the free-search
  2. Alternatively may oracle automatic duplicate the information and thereby at least avoid the join and concatenate operations.

Information in the database is dynamic, and changes must immediately reflected in any index-trees and duplicate tables. We are assuming that Microsoft Index-server probably not will be of much help in this case. Received on Wed Oct 13 1999 - 08:09:33 CDT