Big downloads (was: Re: Oracle 8i EE ON Linux)

From: Kevin O'Gorman <kevin_at_ayuda.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 19:41:11 -0700

> P.S.: How did you download O8i? When I tried to download with
> Netscape 4.6, the archive started to load into the browser window
> instead of going directly to disk. So I had to abort having too
> few memory to hold the 260MB in the browser.
>
> --
> Lothar Armbrüster | lothar.armbruester_at_rheingau.netsurf.de
> Hauptstr. 26 | lothar.armbruester_at_t-online.de
> D-65346 Eltville |

You can train Netscape to not do that. In 4.61, it's Edit->Preferences->Navigator->Applications and you have to teach it about .tar and .tgz at least. You may have problems with files with more than one "." but most of the big ones don't.

Generally I have to "add" the type, pointing to an application, then "edit" it to override the application with the instruction to save such files.

--
Kevin O'Gorman (805) 650-6274 kevin_at_ayuda.com At school: kogorman_at_cs.ucsb.edu
Permanent e-mail forwarder: Kevin.O'Gorman.64_at_Alum.Dartmouth.org Received on Tue Oct 12 1999 - 21:41:11 CDT