Oracle 8i EE on Linux

From: Sofie Kempeneer <SKempeneer_at_cereus.be>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 15:24:30 +0200

Now I have the JRE 1.1.6v5 (the right one I hope) installed. The same problem still stands:

Working with :
Linux Caldera OpenLinux 2.2
Oracle 8i downloaded from technet.oracle.com

When I type
$ ./runInstaller
I get a fault like this

Initializing Java Virtual Machine from /usr/local/jre/bin/jre. Please wait ...
Error in CreateOUIProcess(): - 1
: Permission denied

Harro Uwe Hieninger wrote in message <380261C8.8062A67B_at_metronet.de>...
>Hi Sofie,
>
>you have to get the J)ava R)untime E)nvironment as written in the Release
>Notes.
>
>Harro

I did not install Oracle on Linux yet (some download probs) but I guess you have to do the installation under some special user (most likely root, maybe you have to create an Oracle user an use that). There must be some readme file which describes what steps to do before call the installer script.

>Sofie Kempeneer

I ran the runInstaller from a user called Oracle in the group DBA

Hope that helps,
Lothar

P.S.: How did you download O8i? When I tried to download with

      Netscape 4.6, the archive started to load into the browser window
      instead of going directly to disk. So I had to abort having too
      few memory to hold the 260MB in the browser.

--
Lothar Armbrüster       | lothar.armbruester_at_rheingau.netsurf.de
Hauptstr. 26            | lothar.armbruester_at_t-online.de