8.1.5 on RH Linux 6.0 - JRE/JDK problem

From: mark tompkins <tompkins_at_home.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 04:52:44 GMT

Hi,

I was able to successfully install Oracle 8.0.5 on RH 5.1.

I upgraded RH 5.1 to 6.0, and the java environment worked after the upgrade (blackdown jdk/jre 1.1.7 v3). I increased the size of my swap partition from 60 to 455 MBytes.

I tried to install Oracle 8.1.5 on Red Hat 6.0, and the installation almost worked the first time. OUI loaded from the CD, and ran without error, until the verfication phase of the installation, whence it failed. When I re-ran OUI to check the installed packages, everything appears to have been installed successfully. The failure seems to occur during the installation validation phase, possibly when the dbassist program was run to create a new database???

When I try to run any of the Java applications, such as dbassist, it fails, because it can't find class java/lang/Thread, or something similar.

The problem can be replicated just running a simple JDK applet. I have installed the Blackdown JRE for 1.1.7 v3. I have also installed the Blackdown JDK 1.1.7 v3.

I can replicate the problem with appletviewer, and jre. Here is the jre sequence:

jre -classpath /workarea/jws/proj1 proj1.class Unable to initialize threads: cannot find class java/lang/Thread Could not create Java VM

When I try the same applet using appletviewer, I get:

appletviewer proj1.html
Warning: Cannot allocate colormap entry for default background. File not found when looking for: proj1
java.lang.NullPointerException

                at
sun.applet.AppletPanel.createApplet(AppletPanel.java:456)
                at
sun.applet.AppletPanel.runLoader(AppletPanel.java:392)
                at sun.applet AppletPanel.run(AppletPanel.java:231)
                at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java)

This looks like a 'can't find the classes.zip' file problem. But, I've defined classpath, put the classes.zip onto the path, you name it. Whereas when I started trying to fix this problem, only jre didn't work, now both appletviewer and jre fail the same way.

thx for all your help

Mark Received on Mon Oct 11 1999 - 23:52:44 CDT