Re: Tmp tables in oracle?!@#!

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 15:28:28 +0100

You need Oracle 8.1.5 to create 'global temporary' tables associated with the schema. These table definitions exist permanently, and can be used pretty much like any other table (triggers, views etc.) but the data that you insert into them persists only for the transaction or session (depending on the option set when you create the table).

An alternative for 8.0.5 with the object option installed is to use objects of type table

    'create type xyz as table of pqr;'

This is more restrictive, less intuitive, but can be made to work. There are a couple of examples on my website under PL/SQ and FEATURES.

--

Jonathan Lewis
Yet another Oracle-related web site: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk