Need help installing Oracle8 for Linux

From: Marcus Bungert <jojo_at_theoffice.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 1999 23:32:45 +0200

Hello world ;-)

I tried on two different test server the installation of Oracle 8.0.5.0.0 Standard Edition on SuSE 6.2.

On both server I got several problems. Maybe you can help me. Here are the steps of my installations:

  1. http://www.suse.de/~mha/oracle/oracle8051STD-suse62.html This is an installation instruction for Oracle8 on SuSE Linux.
  2. I downloaded all the mentioned patches.
  3. I copied the complete Oracle8 CD to an installation directory and set all the permissions. (/install-8.0.5)
  4. I extracted all the patches as the SuSE instruction tells
  5. with rpm -Uvh g20binut.rpm g20egcs.rpm g20glibc.rpm g20libs.rpm I installed the glibc-2.0 compatibility packages. From archive oracle8051STD-suse62.tar.gz I copied the libtcl7.5.so to /usr/i486-glibc20-linux/lib/libtcl7.5.so and installed the packages tcl_old.rpm and orarun.rpm with rpm -Uvh
  6. I edited the lines 10 and 139 of /install-8.0.5/orainst/oratab.sh and changed GROUPS to GROUPSCMD.
  7. The user oracle and the group dba has been created. User oracle uses bash1 and not bash
  8. The .profile of user oracle:
   export ORACLE_SID=ORCL
   export ORACLE_TERM=vt220
   export ORACLE_BASE=/opt/oracle
   export ORACLE_HOME=$ORACLE_BASE/products/8.0.5.1
   export CLASSPATH=$ORACLE_HOME/jdbc/lib/classes111.zip    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$ORACLE_HOME/jdbc/lib    export PATH=$PATH:$ORACLE_HOME/bin
   export ORACLE_OWNER=oracle

9. As root I created the /etc/oratab with /install-8.0.5/orainst/oratab.sh

   The enviroment variable ORACLE_OWNER and SID I set manually.

  1. Started the Oracle Installer from /install-8.0.5/orainst/orainst.sh and selected 'custom installation' from a staging area without creating DB objects.
  2. I didn't select the Intelligent Agent, but all other products listed.
  3. During installation some parts of the documentation weren't copied. That seems to be normal. I did a mkdir -p $ORACLE_HOME/doc/server.805/install/ as user oracle and did a retry in Oracle Installer. Everything worked fine...
  4. After installation finished with success I executed the file root.sh as root.
  5. I tried to install the lnxpatch (one of the patches mentioned above). The SuSE instruction tells, that some errors are normal. So I ignored them. (some errors on cp , mv and gmake)
  6. here comes the patch from 8.0.5.0.0 to 8.0.5.1.0. From $ORACLE_HOME/orainst I called ./orainst and selected Install, Upgrade, or De-Install Software and Add/Upgrade Software. The location of ORACLE_HOME was correct and I said Yes. The Installer I gave the full path to the location of the 8051patch. (all as user oracle)
  7. I selected both products.The Installer gives the following error:

    This os a patch release to be installed with version 8.0.5.0.0 of     precompiler products. No precompiler products are found in this     ORACLE_HOME. So, skipping precompiler patch set.

    But I selected the precompiler at the first step of installation.

What is going wrong? Can I go on with the last patches and installations steps before the precompiler is installed? If yes, how do I go on? There is the last patch of archive oracle8051STD-suse62.tar.gz called patch.gz. As described at the SuSE instructions I tried to apply the patch. But I am asked for each file to be patched....

Who can help me??

Many thanks......

Marcus Received on Sun Oct 10 1999 - 16:32:45 CDT