Re: ? on alter tablespace pctincrease

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 1999 14:11:56 +0800

Joe D wrote:

> Connor, once again, thank you. however, another question comes to mind.
> I've read and was told by a consultant that if the pctincrease is set to 1
> it allows
> for the coalescing of free space. What are your thoughts on this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Joe
>
> Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Joe D wrote:
> > >
> > > Can I alter the pctincrease on a active tablespace? If so, are there any
> > > conerns in doing so?
> > >
> > > Thanks again,
> > >
> > > Joe
> >
> > Yes you can - it won't affect any existing objects in the tablespace,
> > only the new ones you create.
> >
> > By the way - set it to zero. Anything else is asking for grief in a
> > whole lot of ways.
> >
> > --
> > Connor McDonald
> > "These views mine, no-one elses etc etc"
> > connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com
> >
> > "Some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue."

If you size your objects well - you DON'T need to coalesce free space.

For example, lets say you size all tables in your tablespace to be either 1m, 5m or 50m. As extents are freed up for either tables shrinking or being dropped altogether, the probability of another object being able to fit into the free space is quite good.

Optimal is to have a tablespace for each size. Then you never have holes that cannot be filled. Thus you may have tablespaces like:

DATA_BIG		default storage 1m
DATA_MEDIUM		5m
DATA_SMALL		50m

you don't need to coalesce, you don't need to worry about fragmentation because everything just slots neatly in to the gaps...

Thats a lot of admin overhead resolved...!

Cheers
--

Connor McDonald

"Some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue." Received on Sun Oct 10 1999 - 01:11:56 CDT