Re: Trivia question re TO_DATE(SYSDATE)

From: student <ennaadu_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 1999 00:36:28 GMT

 hi,
   i think one doesn't do to_date(sysdate). To_date is to convert a text string in a particular format into a corresponding date value. so just say sysdate and it will go smooth. I have experienced the problem of time being inserted as 00:00:00. It basically happens if you are taking the input value as character and use to_date to convert into a date. when you are doing this, you have to append the time portion of the sysdate to the input character value and then do a to_date converusion. I think that should give youproper date with time..

EN Nadu

In article <7tlplr$92k$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   laleonard_SpamBanana_AT_mindspring.com <laleonard_at_mindspring.com> wrote:
> I think I'm having a problem that I've traced to the use of TO_DATE
> (SYSDATE). I'm assuming that the correct syntax is just SYSDATE, but
> I'm curious (a) why does the former work at all, and (b) has anyone
> experienced problem doing that. TIA.
>
> Oh yeah, the problem is that occasionally the date inserted into the
> table ends up having its time set as 00:00:00.
>
> --
> Definitive Solutions, Inc - Makers of AprCalc,
> the Premier Shareware Mortgage Calculator for
> Windows. www.DefinitiveSolutions.com
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Oct 08 1999 - 19:36:28 CDT