Tip: Oracle8i on Linux SuSE 6.1

From: Martin Haltmayer <Martin_Haltmayer_at_in.augsburg.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 1999 21:02:04 +0200

Hi all,

I did not completely manage to start Oracle8i after a (successfully?) completed install because something is wrong with relinking after the patch 8.1.5.0.1 for Linux. I am missing a lot of external references like FreeBuffer, X509... etc. I assume it has something to do with a missing "-rpath" parameter in the parameter linking files which will enable the linker ld to use shared libraries for these externals.

Anyhow, perhaps somebody can shed some light on this. For time pressure reasons I have to return to 8i on NT which is very shaky (tip: don't create your database with replication, set cursor_space_for_time always to false and use dedicated servers by net assistant).

But for those who are willing to try the adventure of installing Oracle8i on SuSE 6.1 here is a list of hints that proved to be important for my steps:

  1. Read the information carefully, especially the parts of the index.htm. Obey all the hints there (DISPLAY variable, shared memory and semaphore configuration, environment variable settings, JRE recommendations, etc.)
  2. I happened to have the 815.tgz file from the Internet. Unpack it and cd install/linux. DO NOT USE ./runInstaller neither from this directory nor from the unpack dir. Use ./runIns.sh instead because this ensures a correct jre start (remember the link of your JRE to /usr/local/jre).
  3. After you managed to start ./runIns.sh successfully, first congratulations. But, alas the evil is drooling. After you picked the software my installer complained twice that there is not sufficient space. I ignored it (6 GB free) twice and continued.

AND HERE COMES THE CANDY: you must have the path created before that is described by $ORA_NLS33 (it is something like ${ORACLE_HOME}/ocommon/...). Until I created it the installer would always segmentation fault.

I hope this bit of information gets somebody to at least successfully install and start and run Oracle8i on Linux SuSE 6.1. I failed.

Martin