Re: batch job to automatically delete old archive files under NT?

From: Joe Long <joe.long_at_cticallcenter.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 1999 10:11:33 -0500

I use a batch file job in the NT Scheduler (c:\winnt\tasks) to both do my backup and delete the old files.
Here is the contents of the batch file:

CALL DEL e:\DB\backup\*.1
CALL DEL e:\DB\backup\*.ora
CALL DEL e:\DB\backup\*.trc
CALL DEL k:\DB\backup\*.1
CALL DEL k:\DB\backup\*.ora
CALL DEL k:\DB\backup\*.trc

CALL MOVE e:\DB\files\archive\*.1 e:\DB\backup\ CALL MOVE k:\DB\files\archive\*.1 k:\DB\backup\ CALL SET ORACLE_SID=<OurSid>
CALL SVRMGR30.EXE COMMAND="@c:\db_admin\BACKUP.SQL"
CALL COPY k:\DB\backup\*.ora e:\DB\backup\
CALL COPY k:\DB\files\trace\*.trc e:\DB\backup\
CALL COPY k:\DB\files\trace\*.trc k:\DB\backup\
CALL COPY e:\DB\files\archive\*.1 e:\DB\backup\
CALL COPY k:\DB\files\archive\*.1 k:\DB\backup\

First I clear out all of the backed up files from yesterday (which have already been written to tape) from the E: and K: drives (I believe in having duplicates of everything). Then I move todays archived log files to the backup directory. Next I run my hot backup script, backing up all data files and the control file (including to trace) to one of the drives. I then copy those files to the other drive again for duplication. Next I copy my trace files to both backup directories. Finally, I copy any new archived logs into the backup directories so I have any logs that were in use when I started the backup procedure. I know it may seem a little anal retentive, but it has really made my life easier during problems to have everything, and have it in two seperate locations. And I just schedule the whole thing through NTs scheduler. If you are not familiar with it, just go to c:\winnt\tasks and double click on 'Add Scheduled Task'. Hope it helps.

Joe Long