the argument with OFA and RAID

From: Verna Legaspi <vlegaspi_at_uswest.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 20:56:47 -0700

I'm in the learning/transition process of becoming our group's DBA, as our Sr. DBA has left the department. Among my main concerns are how our current database files are spread out. We're using a Sun SPARC Solaris 2.6 box, and all the database files (control files, redo logs, datafiles, etc) are on a "SPARC storage array with RAID 0 implemented." (Quoted from our Unix admin) My understanding is that this comprises of about 20 2gb physical disks, but referenced as 1 logical disk. Is this an "unwise" configuration? Our Unix admin's argument against changing how its setup now is that "RAID 0 is the fastest, and Oracle's OFA was conceptualized in the days before 2gb HDs and RAID 0s, so spreading files across several disks would be irrelevant." Now lets consider that our Unix admin knows only enough about OFA and Oracle to understand that Oracle recommends an OFA configuration. He doesn't know the reasoning behind it. Unfortunately, I am almost in the same boat as him. Except I'm a little more open for discussion and argument.

I've read a few discussions about the use and configuration of RAID, and I've read the Oracle 8 DBA Handbook about the importance of spreading your files across multiple disks, and the "dream" 22-disk configuration. However, I don't think I've found any mention about RAID 0 replacing the need for OFA.

Any hints, pointers, URLs, recommendations, suggestions, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

TIA.
Verna Legaspi
vlegaspi_at_uswest.net Received on Thu Oct 07 1999 - 22:56:47 CDT