Re: creating multiple databases

From: Luis Moreno Campos <moreno_at_teleweb.pt>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 19:02:04 +0100

These steps assume that you have already one database created:

  1. Create the INIT.ORA for the second DB, lets called it DBN2, so the file is to be called INITDBN2.ORA Sample code for this file: DB_NAME = DBN2 CONTROL_FILES=(c:\orant\dbn2\control1.ctl, d:\backup\dbn2\control2.ctl) #The Following values are sized for a small-to-medium DB load DB_BLOCK_SIZE=4096 DB_BLOCK_BUFFERS=200 SHARED_POOL_SIZE=5000000 LOG_BUFFER=8192
  2. Create the NT Services by running the following comands on the NT Console:

    2a) c:\> oradim73 -new -sid DBN2 -intpwd ADMIN -startmode auto

                                -pfile c:\orant\dbn2\initdbn2.ora
    2b) c:\> oradim73 -startup -sid DBN2 -starttype srvc, inst
                              -usrpwd ADMIN -pfile
c:\orant\dbn2\initdbn2.ora

    This assumes that your ORACLE_HOME will be c:\orant\dbn2 (where you already had created your initdbn2.ora), and that your INTERNAL password will be ADMIN.

3. Again on the Console window type at the command prompt the following comands:

    set oracle_home = c:\orant\dbn2
    set oracle_sid = dbn2

4. Still at the console invoque Server Manager (SVRMGR):

    c:\> svrmgr23

5. Connect yourself:

    SVRMGR> connect internal/ADMIN
    Connected.

6. Now inside SVRMGR Startup the Instance:

    SVRMGR> startup nomount

7. Issue the command CREATE DATABASE (This is the minimum sintax):

    SVRMGR> create database dbn2

                           datafile 'c:\orant\dbn2\sys1dbn2.ora' size 50m
                            logfile group1 'c:\orant\dbn2\log1dbn2.ora' size
1m,
                            group2 'c:\orant\dbn2\log1dbn2.ora' size 1m;

    This command might take a while to complete

8. When you see the message "Statement Completed" run the following scripts:

    SVRMGR> @c:\orant\rdbms73\admin\catalog     (this takes a while)
    SVRMGR> @c:\orant\rdbms73\admin\catproc     (this takes a even bigger "while")

9. Configure your file LISTENER.ORA on your server in order to listen on the new DBN2 and update the TNSNAMES.ORA file on the client machines to recognize the DBN2 database.

  1. you're done!!