Rollback segments

From: Greg Akins <insomniaNOinSPAM_at_a1usa.net.invalid>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 1999 06:50:39 -0700

I am in the midst of some troubles with Rollback segments.

My rollback tablespace is only half full, but when I run a series of inserts into a table with 'nologging', I get an error message that a rollback segment can't be extended. Now rollback segment seems to be fully extended. However, since I have nologging set and have bounced the database and server, I thought the segment should have been emptied? But mostly, I just don't think I understand the relation between a transaction and Oracles activity against the segments.

I realize this may be a big topic for an online discussion. But maybe there are some web resources from which I could get a better understanding?

-greg