Re: Oracle 8 vs. 8i for DW -- opinions?

From: PerlMongerWannaBe <davehaas_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 1999 05:56:21 GMT

Hi erik.

In terms of warehousing in 8i, there are some new features but I'm not sure they are worth the translation from 8.

The significant one's from a warehousing perspective would be:

Function based indexes (would be big for ad-hoc queries) Ability to store execution plans after statistics generation The new SORT_MULTIBLOCK_READ_COUNT parameter

I have not actually migrated from 8 to 8i, but I have heard it's reasonably painless.

Cheers,

Dave Haas
Sr. Oracle Instructor

In article <37FBA634.9F811A84_at_nospamm.cometsystems.com>,   erikd_at_nospamm.cometsystems.com wrote:
> Hello, all. I've got a 100+GB data warehouse running on Oracle 8. We
are
> considering migrating to 8i, as some of 8i's new features look
> intriguing. Internet accessibility is not a key priority; management
of
> lots of data and multiple simultaneous ad-hoc queries is. Does anyone
> have experience with both, and if so, can he or she tell me the
> following:
>
> 1.) How difficult is the migration for 8 to 8i?
> 2.) Given the type of system I've described, are 8i's new features
worth
> the upgrade?
>
> Please respond via posting or email.
>
> Thanks,
> Erik Diehn
> Comet Systems, Inc.
> erikd_at_nospamm.cometsystems.com - nospamm

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Oct 07 1999 - 00:56:21 CDT