Re: Insufficient Detail in ORA-00904 Messages

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 15:03:19 GMT

When I execute a command in SQL*Plus, it tells me which column is invalid. See the example below:

   SQL> select empno,e_name,job from scott.emp;    select empno,e_name,job from scott.emp

                *

   ERROR at line 1:
   ORA-00904: invalid column name

The '*' is under the invalid column. It should've been "ename". Also, if I misspelled the column name, or any other typos, I can use the SQL*Plus change command to change my command buffer. Refer to Oracle, The Complete Reference by Koch & Loney for Oracle Press.

HTH,
Brian