problem comparing strings

From: Oliver H. <lehrer_at_kkf.de>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 1999 09:47:49 GMT

A list with a unique alphanumeric key (HNR=VCHAR2(15)) sort by HNR:

SQL> select hnr from tbl_merkzettel order by hnr;

HNR

37ef7501b82de
37fb085cbd1a7 <----------
37f1dc0d46f04
37f1dc1cf0efc
37f323ff81e3c

I want to get the next line after the marked:

SQL> select * from tbl_merkzettel where hnr>'37fb085cbd1a7' order by hnr;

No Output

I tried the same with a MS Access Table and get a different order

SELECT HNR
FROM merk
ORDER BY HNR; HNR
37ef7501b82de
37f1dc0d46f04
37f1dc1cf0efc
37f323ff81e3c
37fb085cbd1a7

So the oracle server delivers a wrong order. What's the problem?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Oct 06 1999 - 04:47:49 CDT