Partitioning existing tables, building large indices

From: Greg Stark <greg-spare-1_at_mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 1999 06:52:03 GMT

Is there any efficient way to convert non-partitioned tables into partitioned tables? I would __really__ like to be able to do this to a few tables which have grown rather large. Doing it with a select insert would take a really long time.

On the same note is there any way to build indices without locking up the server? I tried to build an index on one of these large tables (after doing alter session set sort_area_size to 10M and choosing a large temporary tablespace) and it completely blocked all the other queries running. I wouldn't mind if it took hours to build the index as long as the server remains operational during that time.

--
greg Received on Wed Oct 06 1999 - 01:52:03 CDT