Re: Oracle 8i running Stand alone

From: Jim Bonnie <jbonnie_at_home.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 1999 23:11:23 GMT

Thanks for the tip on tnsping, it has helped a little,but I still am having a problem connecting Developer to
a local 8i database so I am posting the tnsnames.ora files for any suggesttions.
It looks like the 8i Net 8 config uses Service names, where the Developer SQL NET used SID's.

Can anyone suggest how to configure this or on how I can get the SID from the 8i Database?

Thanks and Regards, Jim

Oracle 8i NET 8 Created TNSNAMES.ORA File contents

GLOBAL =
  (DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =

      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(PORT = 1521)(HOST = JBATHOME))     )
(CONNECT_DATA =

      (SERVICE_NAME = Global.Reuters)
    )
  )

And here is the Oracle Developer SQL NET created TNSNAMES.ORA File -

 Note that I entered the SNAME entry manually to test the 'service name' attribute. It did not work!

SID.world =
  (DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
        (ADDRESS =
          (COMMUNITY = tcp.world)
          (PROTOCOL = TCP)
          (Host = JBATHOME)
          (Port = 1521)
        )
        (ADDRESS =
          (COMMUNITY = tcp.world)
          (PROTOCOL = TCP)
          (Host = JBATHOME)
          (Port = 1526)
        )

    )
(CONNECT_DATA = (SID = ORCL)

    )
  )
SNAME.world =
  (DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
        (ADDRESS =
          (COMMUNITY = tcp.world)
          (PROTOCOL = TCP)
          (Host = JBATHOME)
          (Port = 1521)
        )
        (ADDRESS =
          (COMMUNITY = tcp.world)
          (PROTOCOL = TCP)
          (Host = JBATHOME)
          (Port = 1526)
        )

    )

Sybrand Bakker <postmaster_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:938923051.27406.0.pluto.d4ee154e_at_news.demon.nl... > To test the connection, use the tnsping utility. In a dos box, type tnsping