ORA-01489: result of string concatenation is too long

From: Chris Forlano <cforlano_at_nortelnetworks.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 1999 11:37:26 +0100

I'm using SQLPlus (Oracle 8.0.5 on HPUX-10.20). I am updating the value of a LONG to a value of about 7K and I receive the following message:

ORA-01489: result of string concatenation is too long

I was my understanding that PSQL could handle a value for a long of up to 32K.
So what's going on? Do I need to break my concatenation into chunks of 2K?

Thanks,

Chris

--
Chris Forlano