Help required : Oracle Connection Manager settings

From: Jimmy Tan <jimmytan007_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 1999 07:24:17 GMT

Hi,

I use SQLNet 2.x client and server, with a Oracle 7.3.X server. To address the multiple service port range security problem on the server end, I was advised by Thomas Kyte to use the Oracle connection manager to sit between the client and server. With all due gratitude to his expert advice and help, the solution worked and the server service port was fixed at the connection manager service port 1630.

I installed the Oracle connection manager on the same machine as the Oracle server. After having done that, the query seems to take much longer than before the connection manager was added on the machine. It appears that there is some periodic timeout period before the client gets a response from the server. My guess is that there is some misconfiguration in my connection manager configuration files.

Does anyone have sample working config files for the connection manager or advise on how I should use the connection manager correctly ? Basically, I just need the connection manager to forward connections between the SQLNet client (TCP/IP) and the Oracle server (also on TCP/IP), and not using the connection manager as an exchange between different transport protocols.

I was also advised by Oracle support to improve the CPU power of the machine where the connection manager sits. What would be a comfortable speed+RAM for the connection manager to run ? Or does CPU power really play such a big role for the performance of the connection manager ?

ps : If you're worried about security, do change your config files to point to a different server IP address and take out sensitive lines. I really need to find out what is the proper way to configure up the connection manager and soon.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
--
JIMMY Received on Tue Oct 05 1999 - 02:24:17 CDT