Re: Help with Downsizing Tablespaces

From: Sybrand Bakker <postmaster_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 06:50:50 +0200

Please note initial applies to the table level, next also, and only autoextend to the tablespace level.
An autoextend of 500k is awfully little, and setting it to 50k will only make things worse.
I don't know how you get at 14.6 Mb after downsizing, the only thing you should know is how much space is occupied now. Autoextend has nothing to do with that. 50 Mb is for a relatively small tablespace. If your database starts to grow you would end with many, many files added. I would rather make sure all used space is contiguous (and hence export and import)
and resize the tablespace itself (alter database datafile '<file_name>' resize, if you are on 7.3 (and may be even 7.2) or higher.

Hth,

--
Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA