Re: Newbie Backup Question - Compression

From: Bob Fazio <bob_fazio_at_hotmail.com.no.spam>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 1999 02:16:03 GMT

I don't recommend compressing a file system that has oracle datafiles on it. The reason is oracle will try and use direct io to a file. If you setup compression and don't go through the OS. Oracle won't be able to read the file.

If you are just talking about compressing the file to some sort of table or backup device. Go right ahead. It has nothing to do with the database.