Re: Backup file style?!

From: Kenneth C Stahl <BlueSax_at_Unforgettable.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 1999 13:24:28 -0400

Don't use tar. Use cpio it is more reliable. The documentation with most modern versionx of Unix state specifically that tar is an obsolete/archaic tool that is retained for backwards compatibility only and that cpio is the prefered tool going forward.

When I do a hot backup I put copies of my control file, the initxxx.ora and copies of the database files into a directory and then compress them. I then build file containing the names of all those files plus the names of all archived redo logs. I then run this list through cpio to create a cpio archive on the tape.