Re: Newbie ?: Rollback Segments and the High Water Mark

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 1999 11:43:44 GMT

Hi Verna,

An attempt to resolve the confusion:
The SYSTEM rollback segment is used for DDL transactions only (ie CREATE an object, DROP an object etc). It is normally not used for ordinary transactions.
A larger transaction will force Oracle to allocate extra extents in the rollback segment. This increases the HWM. Unless you set OPTIMAL for each rollback segment (which I personally never do), once the transaction has been committed, the space will not be deallocated, it is however 'free' to be used by another transaction. If you set OPTIMAL Oracle will trim down the rollback segment. However later on it probably is extended again. That's something I want to avoid in my systems.
If your rollback segments R01-R04 are not online, this means they are private rollback segments. You should name them in the init<sid>.ora file with the following line
rollback_segments = (r01, r02, r03, r04)

and they will be online automatically after startup.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA