Re: Problem while compiling packages

From: Sybrand Bakker <postmaster_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 1999 22:20:43 +0200

Hi Venkatesh

If the problem seems to be related to archivelog, you should look in your alert<sid>.log for any 'cannot allocate log archival required' messages. If your online redo logs are small ( < 5M), and you have a burst of changes, you will fill ALL your archive logs in one sweep, and the database will just hang! until it did archive those files. In noarchivelog they will simply be overwritten.
I have seen frequent problems when packages are mutual dependent of each other. I have never been able to proof dead-lock on the data dictionary, though that is the most likely explanation. There is a package named DBMS_APPLICATION_INFO, which is very useful to see what is happening. It's output will appear in the client_info column of v$session. This package is Oracle-provided and it's source should be located in $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin (I don't know the exact name of the file, but a grep will probably do).
If you decide to recompile that manually be aware most packages have an accompanying prvt<package abbrev>.plb that also needs to be reapplied. If there is an error validating that file, you should post the exact error message.

Hth,
--
Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA