Re: Oracle 8i -> Oracle 7 Server

From: Linux <linux_at_prima.de>
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 1999 21:58:48 +0100

Dan Sutton schrieb:

> Hi, people...
>
> I've got a Windows 98 machine running an Oracle 8i client (with Net 8) and I
> can't for the life of me get the thing to connect to an Oracle 7.1 Server,
> which is running as an NLM on a Netware fileserver (v3.11 of Netware - this
> thing is old!) - I suspect that the problem is the fileserver's operating
> system (it's a Bindery-based server, and doesn't understand NDS). I've got he
> SPX protocol stuff there (and also the TCP/IP - the client connects fine to
> the 8i server I have running under NT) but no matter what I do I get TNS
> errors, and so on.

 NDS are not used by the TNSLSNR of Oracle because this is a directory service and not a transaction control protocol like NET8. Spx should not the problem because win98 does support SPX. You must define a symbolic schema that describe the remote database. This Alias is later used in the connect string to establish a database connection. This does'nt works different as like a tcp/ip network link. Just you must use spx instead in easy-config tool to create a network database description. Well, you have a further, and more critical problem to get a connection without OCI8
functionally. Oracle Server 7.1.xx does NOT support NET8. Maybe the client must support THIN Interface too. This can mabe help you, but i have heard about this problem
last week at Oracle Customer Training Centre; Duesseldorf; Germany. They also know about it.

> As a further piece of information: if I use the Net 8 Assistant to define a
> connection (and then I test it), the SPX Listener on the server says I have a
> connection, but the Net 8 Assistant never returns with a definite result: just
> hangs there. Also, SQL*Net does the same thing...
>
> Any ideas?

Yep, get oracle 8.0.3 for Netware....

> Thanks in advance
> Dan Sutton

Hope i have cleared something...

Gerhard Wesser
linux_at_prima.de Received on Sat Oct 02 1999 - 15:58:48 CDT