Re: managing a large number of concurrent sessions

From: <jinyingxu_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 1999 19:23:52 GMT

It depneds on what type of APPS your database deal with; Oracle dedicated server can handle huge work load in terms of current connections if hardware well configured. One of production instances I managed consistent has more than 1,600 current connections; they are runing OLTP processes; performance is fine. I did load test to add current users up to 2,500 in the same kind of hardware configuration. I try MTS option in the same work load the response time is 20 times longer -- it is trad off. MTS save memory for you but memory is cheap now; that is easy way to gain the perfomance.

Thanks,
JEFF In article <37F390C1.66EE0E52_at_us.oracle.com>,   Pete Sharman <psharman_at_us.oracle.com> wrote:
> --------------16FE4B94F609F60DED5D9720
>
> You only need to use MTS if you are running
short on memory resources for
> the machine, so it's not really possible to say
whether Sean needs it or
> not. There are lots of sites with more
connections than this running
> dedicated server.
>
> Overall, dedicated server will normally give you
better performance if
> you have enough resources to have the extra
processes running.

> HTH.
>
> Pete
>
> Anil Kamath wrote:
>
> > If you use straight Oracle dedicated server
configuration,
> > then ur box will croak when u have a large
number of
> > connections unless u have infinite hardware
resources.

> > Use Oracle MTS( but I do not know how stable
it is in
> > Oracle 8.0.5, it was not in Oracle 7...is
anyone using this
> > for production installations). We have
implemented a middleware
> > app server connection pooling mechanism using
servlets to reduce
> > the number of dedicated user connections to
the Oracle database.

> > -anil
> >
> > In article

<000b8d9b.97f84788_at_usw-ex0101-005.remarq.com>,
> > Sean Leahy <s_leahy_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> > >

> > > What is the best method for handling a large
number of concurrent
> > > sessions. By large I mean 100, 200, or 300
sessions. Can I simply
> > > increase the value for SHARED_POOL_SIZE, or
do I have to use MTS or
> > > some other type of connection pooling
software?

> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Sean Leahy
> > >
> > > * Sent from RemarQ http://www.remarq.com The
Internet's Discussion
> > Network *
> > > The fastest and easiest way to search and
participate in Usenet -
> > Free!
> > >

> > --
> > Anil Kamath
> > SmartOnline Inc. (www.smartonline.com)
> >
> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.
>
> --------------16FE4B94F609F60DED5D9720
>
> begin:vcard
> n:Sharman;Pete
> tel;cell:+1.650.868.9969
> tel;fax:+1.650.633.1506
> tel;work:+1.650.607.0109
> x-mozilla-html:FALSE
> org:Advanced Technology Solutions;Oracle
Corporation
> adr:;;500 Oracle Parkway M/S OPL-A4019;Redwood
Shores;CA;94403;USA
> version:2.1
> email;internet:psharman_at_us.oracle.com
> title:Managing Principal Consultant
> note;quoted-printable:**** The statements and
> x-mozilla-cpt:;9088
> fn:Pete Sharman
> end:vcard
>
> --------------16FE4B94F609F60DED5D9720--

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Oct 01 1999 - 14:23:52 CDT