Re: Oracle ODBC Drivers

From: Oscar R. Paredes <paredes_at_ohio.edu>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 12:53:57 GMT

Hello Jerome

    My DB is Oracle 7.3.3.6.2 and we are going to migrate to Oracle 8.0.5 very soon, I've doing some testing with the client connectivity to calculate the impact on my clients and I found some interesting things. First of all 8.0.5 Client (SQL*Net 8) works fine with a 7.3.3 Server, however the story is not the same with ODBC. I'm folowwing these steps to install ODBC on my clients.

  1. Install Oracle Client 8.0.5 (Options in the prompts: Oracle client - Application user)
  2. If you have Microsoft ODBC for Oracle 2.573.2927.00, this driver should work OK, unless you have installed "Office 2000" or a non-Microsoft ODBC driver or your windows installations was not clean (upgrades from Windows 3.1 to Windows 95 or from Windows 95 to Windows 98 for example ).
  3. If you experience problems with that driver, then use Oracle ODBC Driver 8.00.05.00, this should work OK.
  4. If you still have problems download "Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC - 2.1.2.4202.3)" from the Microsoft site it's free. This is the only way to correct DLL conflicts, because it removes all ODBC and OLE DB files and install new versions of these products. This MDAC version contains the Microsoft ODBC for Oracle 2.573.4202.00 (06/04/99)

    The reason I prefer to try first with Microsoft Products is because they usually "get along" easily with other Microsoft Technologies.

Good Luck

Oscar R. Paredes
Oracle DBA

Administrative Systems                  (740) 593 1005 phone
316G Computer Services Center           (740) 593 0589 fax
Ohio University

Mail to: oscar.paredes_at_ohio.edu

         oscar_at_paredes.com