Oracle Instance On IBM HACMP

From: Vernon Melvin De Silva <vernonmelvin_at_pacific.net.sg>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 18:02:08 +0800

Hello,

    We are setting up a Fail safe solution from IBM where two RS/6000 machines are conncted to an external SSA disk array. On this Disk Array there will be two sets of databases. Lets call the two servers Ser_A and Ser_B. Each Server has 3 network cards. Ser_A will run Oracle and startup instance Ora_A while Ser_B will also run Oracle and startup instance Ora_B. Both servers will minitor each other. If Ser_A detects that Ser_B is unavailable, it must then startup Ora_B via a startup script or something. And the same goes when Ser_B detects that Ser_A is unavailable.

    My question is, how do u start up another instance while one instance is already running. Of course part of this solution also involves the fact that once the 'dead' server comes back on line, the other server must stop the instance that it was running on its behalf.

Thanks for any help.

Vernon Received on Fri Oct 01 1999 - 05:02:08 CDT