Re: oracle- raw device vs file system

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 17:59:51 +0800

raju_pillai_at_yahoo.com wrote:

> I am pretty new to Oracle DBA field. I just finished installing ORACLE
> on AIX. Now I am ready to create database. Some are saying to create the
> databse in File System, but some are saying to create it in Raw device
> system. Anybody have any recommendations. What are the pros and cons of
> each system.
>
> One more question, a consultant is supposed to come and install couple
> of user software which will access the Oracle on Unix. He gave me a call
> yesterday, and asked me whether the Oracle Client is ready in a NT
> machine. What does Oracle Client mean ? Does he mean Net8,sql Net, or
> Oracle on NT ?
>
> Thanks in advance...
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Without going into the (large list of) specifics, as a general rule, raw devices for Oracle will run faster at the cost of slightly more administrative overhead. The more advanced the file system you use (eg Veritas) the less gain you would observe with raw.

Oracle Client is a nice vague term - but typically it means SQL Net (Net8 or otherwise) on the client machines that will be talking to the server.

HTH Received on Thu Sep 30 1999 - 04:59:51 CDT