Re: Very Large Next Extent

From: <tjmxyz_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 07:16:06 GMT

A few suggestions...
Us ethe storage clause in the create table statement. I would make a temp table with the same struct and use a different

SOMETHING LIKE
CREATE TABLE TEMP AS SELECT *
from mytable STORAGE (INITIAL XX NEXT XX PCTFREE 1 MINEXTENT XX MAXEXTENT XX); Thus you could in theopry create a table with all the rows locate in consecutive blocks (maybe 1 huge extent.)

As for the index I would recreat it using the OPTIMAL Clause..

Sorry as to not be more helpful but I assume you could figure it out from here...

Hint the extent size should be both a multiple of the block size and perhaps large enough to place the table in 1 or 2 extents...

This is completely in my opinion.

(You'll have to look up the storage clause I can't remember)

In article <37F29320.F337F23D_at_abbnm.com>,   Tapan Trivedi <tapan.trivedi_at_abbnm.com> wrote:
> --------------28EC1BFD4731F69854710893
>
> Hey Guys,
> I ran the following query on one of my instances and I got the
following
> results. I have a table with a next extent of 52428800 which is
really
> very big. What do I do about this as export/import is not an option
for
> this table (9 million rows ) and always being written to and other
> application constraints. Any hints , suggestions, experiences,
comments
> welcome.
>
> Thank

you.

Tapan H Trivedi

> select

SEGMENT_NAME,SEGMENT_TYPE,BYTES,BLOCKS,EXTENTS,INITIAL_EXTENT,NEXT_EXTEN T,MAX_EXTENTS,PCT_INCREASE
> from dba_segments
> where extents > 20
> order by extents desc;
>
> SEGMENT_NAME SEGMENT_TYPE BYTES BLOCKS EXTENTS
> INITIAL_EXTENT NEXT_EXTENT MAX_EXTENTS PCT_INCREASE
>

> SYS_C0026295 INDEX 172134400 84050
> 82 2097152 2097152 121 0
> ESDATA TABLE 195174400 95300
> 69 2097152 52428800 121 0
> EVTMSG 100771840 49205
> 49 10240 2099200 121 0
> EVTAUG 73482240 35880
> 36 10240 2097152 121 0
> EVTJUL 56688640 27680
> 28 10240 2097152 121 0
> --------------28EC1BFD4731F69854710893
>
> begin:vcard
> n:Trivedi;Tapan
> tel;pager:281 262 5866
> tel;home:713 218 8133
> tel;work:281 274 5193
> x-mozilla-html:FALSE
> version:2.1
> email;internet:tapan.trivedi_at_abbnm.com
> fn:Tapan Trivedi
> end:vcard
>
> --------------28EC1BFD4731F69854710893--

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Sep 30 1999 - 02:16:06 CDT